Following are purely my own understanding as a beginner to work with Oracle SQL Developer.
- When you install a oracle server 2008, you will automatically obtain a Oracle SQL Developer client with it.
- You cannot create a new database with Oracle SQL Developer client. In order to do that you would require an Admin Client for the same.
- So in order to work with databases you have to create a connection to the oracle database residing in a server from the developer client.Following section illustrates the same
- A typical Oracle SQL Developer 1.5.5 looks like the following
5. Right Click on Connections and click New Connection
8. The network alias that I have chosen here corresponds to a particular database that has been configured in tnsname.ora
ii. Using the tools menu