Pages

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Handling Variants - Becare full about the Type Name or Class Name of Variants refering to Array Objects

Variants now a days are proving more useful to me than before. I stick to the thought that I should not use variants unless its really necessary. One of the most effective advices that I received from developers against using variants is based on the fact that it takes 16bytes memory space for the object where is its less in case of objects for integer, string etc.

I often get the feel that with the current hardware capacities heightened to tera bytes, 16 bytes wont matter that much, if we recyle them properly.

I performed a small test today as my code kept failing and failing and there was not much for me to look for.

I first checked what type of values result in which type of variants. So I did the following in a test button


Eventually, I previewed the button on a client interface and did the MAGIC JOB of clicking it. And there comes my BELOVED BABY popups as to the left.

Now I understood that these are of types "INTEGER", "STRING" and "STRING()"

Is there any soul out there who agrees with me. If so, join the club and clean your eyes/specs and look at the god damn thing properly.

It is actually "STRING( )" and not "STRING()". This screwed me for over 30 minutes. Some time back due to a specific individual in my life, I became of fond of reading and understanding the "LAWS OF STUPIDITY". The fourth law stated that,

"Non-stupid people always underestimate the damaging power of stupid individuals. In particular non-stupid people constantly forget that at all times and places and under any circumstances to deal and/or associate with stupid people always turns out to be costly mistake."

Now my question is who is stupid - Me , the Variant or ***




No comments:

Post a Comment