Well well... this simple silly stuff gave me a head ache for a while. Because I broke the rules and so paid the price.
I was wondering why s:bean won’t work for me while I was able to work with other stuffs like controls, context params, stream processing, Ajax etc….
My Eclipse IDE kept telling that it was not able to recognize what s:bean is. Neither did it realize s:param and s:property.
I was puzzled. Even a few java guys felt that it was a problem with the IDE. How demoralizing. I stopped toying with it for a while and later after a couple of days, I found the culprit.
It was so simple. I got a bit comfortable with basic JSPs and Struts that I did not notice this.
The following was my jsp page’s content
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
<title>Bean Tag Example</title>
<s:param name="dollars" value="100" />
100 Dollars = <s:property value="rupees" /> Rupees
And the issue was I did not add the following code to the top of that page
<%@ page contentType="text/html; charset=UTF-8" %>
<%@ taglib prefix="s" uri="/struts-tags" %>
God bless me…. I just want to cry now. How could I ever forget to miss it … bummer
Hope this saves some one else at least :)